It’s National Indigenous Peoples’ Day!
Posted: October 10, 2022
I wanted to include some information that might be helpful to read and review.
A Proclamation on Indigenous Peoples’ Day, 2022 – Joe Biden
To acknowledge the territory you’re on, feel free to use
- Integrating Professional and Indigenous Therapies: An Urban American Indian Narrative Clinical Case Study
- Indigenous | NAMI
- Working With Indigenous/Native American Patients
- Unlearn Columbus Day Myths
- Many students learn the phrase, “In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue”. But Columbus was not the first foreign explorer to land in the Americas. Neither he nor those that came before him discovered America—because Indigenous Peoples have populated the Western Hemisphere for tens of thousands of years. European contact resulted in devastating loss of life, disruption of tradition, and enormous loss of lands for Indigenous Peoples in the Americas. It is estimated that in the 130 years following first contact, Native America lost 95 percent of its population.”
- Indigenous Tribes of Chicago
- Indigenous Peoples Day 2022: Where to find depictions of Native American life — created by modern Native Americans — around Chicago
- Indigenous Peoples’ Day: Rethinking How We Celebrate American History
- Donate directly to communities, and to organizations that support Indigenous liberation